The Vendors Initiative for Social and Economic Transformation (VISET) is a union of informal economy workers with structures throughout Zimbabwe. The organisation was formed in 2015 to spearhead the social and economic transformation of informal economy workers by championing their quest to earn livelihoods in the current economic circumstances. VISET’s programmatic thrust is anchored on three pillars: (1) taking action to defend, promote and expand the rights of informal economy workers, (2) improving the working conditions of informal economy workers and (3) strengthening their capacities to trade profitably and grow their businesses. The organisation’s membership comprises street traders, SMEs, Cross Border Traders and Small Tuck-shop owners.
The organisation commissioned research on women cross boarders in the 3 major boarders’ towns of Zimbabwe that has high volumes of informal women traders. The research is aimed at exploring the women’s role in informal cross border trade, both documented and undocumented contributions in the mainstream economy. As such VISET seeks the services of a consultant to assist the organizations research team with desk review of existing literature on women cross boarders, data analysis, development of a policy brief and assist in the compilation of the research report.
- Conduct a desk review, data analysis and compile a report for the research on women cross borders traders in 3 border towns in Zimbabwe.
Key outputs for the assignment
The consultant is expected to produce the following deliverables:
- An inception report with a detailed plan of action for the assignment.
- Institute a desk review
- Data analysis
- Produce a policy brief
- Research report
Contractors Technical Requirement
The consultant should possess the following skills and competencies:
- A bachelor’s degree in development studies or any social science-related qualification.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the current discourse and discussions on gender dynamics and socio-economic rights in the informal economy.
- Excellent communication skills with experience in writing precise communication materials for policy influencing.
- Good analytical and research skills
- High computer literacy
Total LOE: 20 Days
- A total duration of 20 working days is allocated to desk review, data analysis and report compilation.
Interested candidates should submit an expression of interest, detailed budget, work plan and their CVs to email@example.com on or before the 18th of November 2022. Please note that CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.